Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Good Ole Days

In a generation of awful reality tv (I'm guilty of watching a lot of this junk), little work ethic, morals on a rapid decline, etc. It's hard not to get down and miss the good old days.
Even though I am getting older I'm still young and when anyone that is just a few years older than me hears me utter 'back in the day', they instantly snarl their nose at me. But really, simpler days don't seem like they were that long ago. Granted I never rode a horse and buggy or walked barefoot to school in the snow, uphill both ways. 
But I did ride in the back of a wagon pulled by a tractor that my daddy was driving...oh, the memories we have 'picking' corn in the back of that wagon. A 408 event that drew all the cousins in for sure! 
I didn't sit in the house watching TV 24/7, play video games, or stay glued to a computer screen. I played outside; I made dirt/mud pies with my cousin, Tim, and ate them. Don't make that face...you know you've all tasted a little dirt before. We camped at the lake, swam at my grandparents...not sure if we liked swimming so much or those tea cakes she made us when we got out of the pool. We loved accidentally falling in the swimming pool then jumping on the trampoline to 'dry' off. We would sneak off to the creek by their house and play in it, but be on the look out like we were escaping from jail. You never wanted Faye to catch you out in that creek, that's for sure. 
Our imaginations ran wild in those days with games and stories we came up with. Times were so much simpler. That was just the 80-90's; can you imagine how great they years before that were!? 
**Of course in my blogging fashion I started writing this blog last month and just picked back up today. Although this post was mainly focused on 'The Good Ole Days', with it being 9/11 my focus has changed a little.**
Now in 2014, we have 2 years old that know how to work iphones, we have kids getting into and causing so much trouble. We have Americans and races fighting one another. This really bothers me on a day like today. September 11th. Just last month in West Point, MS a group of guys beat an American Veteran. A young man who had fought for their freedom and they did this horrendous act to him. It's absolutely pathetic and embarrassing that we've come to this. Can you remember back to this day in 2001? How strong and united our nation became. How great it would be if we could go back to that tight, united nation; a God fearing nation!? A place where you are proud to live and proud of the individuals living in it. 
Let's just all go back to the good ole days. Maybe this week, weekend or even a certain time each week we can put down the phones, computers, video controllers and do something that we'll actually remember doing years down the road. Something that will actually be worth doing and having memories of. 
After saying all that, I know what most of you are thinking about. Some juicy mud pies! Go ahead and make you some...kids or no kids :)

-Casey





No comments:

Post a Comment